Download FoodData Central Data
Data contained in FoodData Central can be downloaded. The download files are available both as an Excel-compatible CSV delimited ASCII file and as a Microsoft Access database (version 2007).
- The Microsoft Access database contains a few sample queries.
- Data Type Documentation provides links to documentation for each of FoodData Central’s data types, and these documents provide details on the file formats.
View Download Field Descriptions (PDF - 300K) for definitions of all the terms and labels used in the download files of FoodData Central. This guide is also included in each downloaded file.
Access the Downloads
The following files can be downloaded (see Notes, below, for explanation):
- Foundation Foods -
April 2020 (CSV – 2.3M)
December 2019 (CSV – 1.8M)
April 2019 (CSV – 1.5M)
FNDDS 2015-2016 -
April 2020 (CSV – 5M)
FNDDS 2013-2014 - April 2019 (CSV – 5M)
- Branded Foods -
April 2020 version 2* (CSV – 71M)
December 2019 (CSV – 65M)
April 2019 (CSV – 52MB)
- SR Legacy April 2019 (CSV – 6.1MB)
- Supporting data for Downloads -
April 2020 (CSV – 1.8M)
December 2019 (CSV – 206K)
April 2019 (CSV – 210K)
- Full Download of All Data Types -
April 2020 version 2* (CSV – 85M)
April 2020 version 2* (MS Access – 145M)
December 2019 (CSV – 67M) December 2019 (MS Access – 115M)
April 2019 (CSV – 62M) April 2019 (MS Access – 110MB)
Notes on Downloads
- The April 2020 files contain the most recent data, with the following exceptions:
- * Version 2 includes corrections made on May 1, 2020 to branded foods data.
- Data in Foundation Foods and the USDA Global Branded Food Products Database are periodically updated. Previous files, also known as historical data, for these data types can be obtained by clicking on the April 2019 link.
- SR Legacy is the final release of the Standard Reference data type. These data will not be updated. Earlier versions of Standard Reference (i.e., SR 17 through 28) are available on the Methods and Application of Food Composition Laboratory (MAFCL) website.
- The Food and Nutrient Database for Dietary Studies (FNDDS) is updated every two years, in conjunction with the two-year cycles of the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. The April 1, 2020 date represents the date on which FNDDS 2015-2016 was published and made available for download in FoodData Central. Earlier releases can be found on the Food Surveys Research Group website.
- The Full Download file contains files for all of the FoodData Central data types. Therefore, whenever a download for an individual data type is updated, the Full Download file also will be updated to include those new data.
For more information about FoodData Central, go to the FAQ page.